- 8 Slices of our plain or seeded Equii breads.
- 2 Tablespoons of butter at room temperature.
- 1 Tablespoon of French mustard to taste.
- 14 Ounces of any combination of your favor grated or sliced cheeses (We love the sharp cheddar, Gruyère or Comté, and a red rind or soft, creamy, surface-ripened goat cheese combination)
- Jalapeño pepper to taste.
- Maldon, or flaky sea salt to taste.
- Spread a very small amount of butter on one side of the Equii bread slices.
- Toast the butter side in a skillet on low heat until light golden-brown.
- Place the bread slices, golden brown sides up, on your work surface and lightly spread with French mustard.
- Divide your choice of cheeses, and a few thinly sliced jalapeno pieces on top of half of the bread slices.
- Sandwich with the remaining slices.
- Spread a very small amount of butter on both sides of the cheese sandwiches and lightly season with salt.
- Wrap and refrigerate the sandwiches until needed.
- Place your cheese sandwich in a skillet over medium heat, cover and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Keep flipping and pushing down until cheese is melted.
- Once the cheese is melted, remove from the skillet, and serve.
Alternative serving options:
- Finely sliced red onion and tomatoes.
- Slow cooked caramelized onions.
- Kimchi, chutneys, or pesto.
- Cooked mushrooms (Duxelle)
- Fire roasted tomatoes.
- Any type of natural or smoked, cured or dry cured hams.
- Cooked bacon.
- Bechamel sauce and cured ham to make the French Croque-Monsieur.
- Slightly rub garlic on your bread prior to building your sandwiches.
- Grill or panini your cheese sandwiches.
- We like our grilled cheese sandwich served with sides of pickled vegetables or gherkins.